Life's a pretty precious...

Life's a pretty precious...

Wednesday, 30 November 2016

UN CHAPEAU DU SOLEIL, A NEW PRE-LOVED DRESS, AND A BIG DAY OUT...


With a special event booked with our grand daughter, Edana, for last 
Sunday, J.B. and I decided to give ourselves a long weekend 
and spend Friday together in the city of beautiful Brisbane.

 My new chapeau du soleil was perfect for shading me from the intense south east Queensland sun. 
It's "mouldable" - the rim and crown can be bent and stretched to create whatever shape I want.

When I walked past our local Anglican Op Shop this dress yelled to me from its mannequin in the window...I've learned never to ignore such a calling...I loved it, it fitted, felt fabulous, and cost $5!

I needed a replacement for my Balinese pants which had worn out after many years  so chopped the top off this pair of fisherman's pants, stitched and threaded elastic and here they are.

 




This fabulous laneway leads to Bean café which I'd read about in a barista magazine and J.B. and I discovered on our last visit to the city.








 I love cafés with character, atmosphere - and excellent coffee. 
Bean ticks all the boxes!






The Botanic Gardens beside the Brisbane River were dressed in their Spring finery despite the dry weather...


 I love the back of this little dress...
and the roses in the Gardens, pink and white, smelled divine...




 Brisbane Powerhouse at New Farm is a pre-war industrial power station converted into an iconic art centre...


http://brisbanepowerhouse.org/# 


...Alto at the Powerhouse serves fabulous chips with garlic aioli...
the perfect sustenance for return ferry, walking and train...washed down 
with chilled Marlborough N.Z. wine... Cheers...   



Linking to http://stylecrone.com/2016/11/30/hat-attack-41-iva-ksenevich-millinery/

http://notdeadyetstyle.com/11572-2

14 comments:

  1. I love those bendy hats! They are my favourite. Your overhauled pants also look so breezy, clean and comfy.
    This looks like an excellent mini trip. I could probably hang out at the coffee shop for hours, although the promise of fine wine and fries would definitely get me moving again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to use your "F" word for the pants because that's basically what happened to them! I can see you in the laneway en route to Bean - my favourite dress with "the sleeves" would have been fabulous for last Friday. Thanks for your energised, creative comments - always appreciated. xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend, Brisbane is a beautiful city . Your new floral dress was such a good find, fits you perfectly . Clever hat , that will get a workout over Summer, stay cool today , I believe you are to get a heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill, yes the hat will get a workout. I love it and what I can do with it - from cowgirl hat to stylish to wavy... Today's 35 outside at the moment and Bello is now on Level 4 water restrictions, the driest Spring in over 2 decades. J.B. and I have experienced true drought before but for the Bellinger Valley, which is always lush when the rest of the country is brown, it's quite profound. A fire is still burning on Dorrigo Mountain week after arsonists started it - they've been aerial bombing water trying to stop it spreading to the world heritage National Park. But, that's the challenge of living in our beautiful country... Have a fabulous weekend. xx

      Delete
  3. Brisbane looks so quirky and European. That bar looks divine, just the kind of place I'd hang out.
    I love a floral print on a black background, it gives flowers attitude. Clever idea with the fisherman's pants, too. I'll have to look out for one of those pliable sun hats, I've ruined many a vintage straw hat by cramming it in a bag when the sun's vanished. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your phrase "it gives flowers attitude"! And I have to agree, flowers do have attitude on a black background. Thanks, Vix! I can highly recommend a "bendy" sunhat, it's great. My favourite sunhat (on my blog profile photo) is straw and they are so difficult to keep as new - bits break off, little holes appear...sigh...in this case, unfortunately, synthetic is the winner. xx

      Delete
  4. Great to get a glimpse of Brisbane and the sunshine. Your floral frock has the wow factor.

    Gail
    www.isthismutton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your beautiful comments, Gail, and for visiting my blog. Elizabeth. xx

      Delete
  5. Looking fabulous in the sunshine - love that hat! And would love to meet you at that cafe, it looks like heaven. xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. I'd love to meet you there too - maybe one day we will meet in the real world, in the meantime it's wonderful sharing our lives through blogging. Elizabeth xx

      Delete
  6. I love wearing dresses over pants or leggings. You look amazing. Love that art center too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, thanks for your lovely comments and for visiting my blog. xx

      Delete
  7. Random thrifting opportunities are not to be ignored! Your flexible sun hat looks wonderful with your fun dress and is the perfect sun accessory. Thanks for participating in Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Judith. I know you understand exactly what I mean by a dress yelling from the mannequin - such fun and so wonderful that the recycling wheel can do another rotation. The hat is well in use as summer is in full swing! Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete