Life's a pretty precious...

Life's a pretty precious...

Thursday, 6 October 2016

AQUARIUS, RAINBOWS, FRIENDSHIP...


The village of Nimbin is a 3 1/2 hour drive from my home. One of my two closest friends lives on 100 acres in the hills outside the village. 
A visit to Nimbin is a step back in time to the Aquarius Festival which made the village and whole area famous. A 10 day event in May, 1973, the Festival aimed to celebrate alternative thinking and sustainable lifestyles. It's often described as Australia's equivalent to the Woodstock Festival and the birthplace of Australia's hippie movement. 


The Festival had a permanent effect on the  economy of Nimbin as many Festival participants of all ages decided to remain in the district. The area was previously a dairying and banana growing region in severe decline. Communes, offering a cheap housing alternative, were created from pooled resources of the new settlers and these Communities continue to thrive today.

 





Within a decade, the "Aquarians" were outnumbered by the continuing flow of disaffected urbanites and tree-changers coming into the area. 

Set in a beautiful green valley with volcanic spires, Nimbin is near World Heritage rainforest, waterfalls and the magnificent Mt. Warning - 1,156 metres. It's known as Wollumbin, a sacred place to the Indigenous Bundjalung people...the Rainbow Region.
 Mt. Warning is the first place on Australian mainland to be touched by the sun in the morning. 

The name Nimbin comes from the local Widgibal clan whose Dreamtime speaks of the Nimbinjee spirit people protecting the area. 




 
 



Today, Nimbin is still a haven for escapees from the rat race and those looking for the elusive utopia. 
Tourist buses, backpackers and visitors from around the globe add to the economy. 
There are rainbows and rainbow colours everywhere...beautiful hand painted murals above the shop fronts...

Every May, Nimbin hosts the 
Mardi Grass Festival, a cannabis 
law reform rally.

The Hemp Embassy stands for 
everything cannabis which is 
illegal but somehow in Nimbin...


I found the jeans (almost brand new) 
in Vinnies for $5; the gorgeous pre loved top
at the Bellingen markets recently for $4 
(I love the sleeves and uneven hemline); silver bangles a combination
of gifts from my two closest friends and my own, discovered somewhere 
in the past, as were the earrings. I bought the silk rust scarf for my eldest son's wedding (I wore it tied around my head) and the silk purple scarf was a birthday present a few years ago. 






 
It's worth a visit to the public loos...







  









 Caro and I have been close friends for more than 20 years. When we left the same area we pledged to nurture our friendship by visiting each other at least once a year, in between phone calls and emails and because we live an easy drive away, we can. However, this year, Caro's best friend, love and husband, was diagnosed with prostate cancer - a double wammy to Parkinsons Disease and she hasn't made it down to visit. So, in addition to J.B. and I calling in on a trip north in April, I visited them a couple of weekends ago. And was hit hard seeing my dear friend's pain and exhaustion. 
Usually we go adventuring to the rainforest and National Parks but this time we sat on the balcony and sipped tea, coffee, wine...strolled the village that wants to remain in the 70's. With Ian and Harry the labrador we wandered the little Nimbin Show where one of Ian's photos (he's a very creative, keen photographer) won first prize surrounded by the local vegies, cakes and preserves. We saw the sun on Mt. Warning. We hugged, we shed tears, we laughed, we talked...







Caro has a fabulous wardrobe of skirts, earrings, dresses...pre loved, vintage...

Ian's well lived hat and his 
regulation shorts - and ever present camera slung over his shoulder... 















Rainbow Country...



 

Mt. Warning in the distance from Caro's balcony






20 comments:

  1. Nimbin looks and sounds utterly magical, just my kind of alternative town with a view.
    You look utterly lovely, those colours are heavenly.
    How moving to have such an incredible friendship with Caro. I imagine having you in her life is helping with both her and her husband's health issues tremendously. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vix, you would add fabulous alternative style and class to Nimbin!! Thanks for your beautiful comments re Caro and the colours and my clothes - the colours drew me to the market stall and I love wearing it, almost feel I'm back in the Age Of Aquarius. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Elizabeth, I'm wholeheartedly sorry about Caro's husband and what both of them have been struggling with. That is unequivocally a harsh and challenging double blow on the medical front. From across the vast distance that divides Canada and Australia, I will send out countless positive vibes and hopes for the best possible outcome regarding her husband's cancer (and life with Parkinson's). Thank you for sharing such an intimate fact with us. I'm sure that seeing them go through these hurdles has been difficult for you as well, sweet lady {{{tons of hugs}}}.

    On a cheerier note... what a splendidly fun outfit! Few folks may know this about me, as I nearly always wear late 30s to early 60s attire, but I've always had a strong bohemian side and was madly in love with "flower power" type looks from the 60s and 70s when I was a youngster (especially during my tween years). Every once in a blue moon, I'll still reach for such an outfit, though haven't had a good pair of flared or bell bottom jeans in many years now (though I do actively hunt for such). Perhaps one of these days I'll surprise my readers and post snaps of myself sporting such on my blog. Stranger things have happened... :)

    Thinking of you and sending countless more warm hugs your way,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughts, I'm certain Caro will feel them. And on the cheerier note - Wow! Yes! Find those flares and bell bottoms and surprise us all!! Weren't we (and aren't we still) in love with the whole flower power and peace, love time? Perhaps now, we really need to bring back those thoughts of peace and love... In the meantime, spring is here and my jasmine vine is about to bloom and I can't resist putting a sprig behind my ear whenever I go past :) xx

      Delete
  3. Nimbin is one of those places I have always planned to visit but somehow just haven't so far but seeing your photos of all its splendour have me vowing to rectify this soon.
    So sorry to hear of your friends husband and his health battles, I am sure having you to share time with was such a tonic for her.
    My thoughts are with you, Jill XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. Nimbin is certainly worth a visit - as I said, it's still back in the 70's (apart from the espresso bars, the pizzeria...) and the surrounding country is beautiful. Just an hour and a bit drive from Byron Bay :)
      Love the photo of your irises on Instagram. xx

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear of the changes to Caro and her husband's life- dealing with illness is so difficult for the people involved and you as friends and onlookers who long to help. Being there, I am sure does a lot.
    You fit right in with the Aquarius vibe. Vibrant and cool!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie. I do still love flower power dressing and in between vintage and pre-loved, I can still be seen wafting around like this...and I'm a dedicated yogi...but too squeaky clean a hippie for the hashish! !!! Have a great week, xx

      Delete
  5. Dear Elizabeth, it's so very levelling to read this story of your friend and her husband. I feel for them with this mountain to climb. Our health is paramount in life, but we only really understand that when it starts to slip away from us. We none of us are excused the realities of ill health at some point, as you yourself have experienced. All we can do as friends is to be there, in whatever way we can.
    On a lighter note, I do love your rainbow top which is more than a nod to the era of Woodstock etc. The whole ensemble is very relaxed and looks perfect for your outing that day.
    Thanks for this lovely post x
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna for your kind thoughts and so pleased you enjoyed the visit to the Age of Aquarius Nimbin. I love colour and love having the option to dress Aquarius style whenever I feel like it. Have a beautiful week. xx

      Delete
  6. I found your blog at Patty's party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, Thanks for dropping by, look forward to keeping in touch. Hope you have a fabulous week. xx

      Delete
  7. So very sad to hear about your friend's husband. That has to be very tough. I echo what the eloquent Anna wrote.

    The place looks and sounds quite magical.

    bisous
    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Suzanne, Thank you for your kind thoughts and visiting Nimbin with me. Hope you're having a beautiful week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just returned from a short visit to Vermont here in the States. Parts of it are very similar to what you describe, and I found it fun to step back in time just a little. You look perfectly dressed, and I always appreciate a good bohemian outfit put together on a dime!! My love goes out to you and your friends. My last 5 years have been spent caregiving on a level I never envisioned. My mom is the one now, and at 93 it's never predictable. Take good care, hug the ones you love, and have fun dressing up!! Somedays it's what gets me out of bed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jean, thanks for dropping by and visiting Nimbin with me. I haven't visited the Vermont region but it's another part of the States I'd love to visit (the appeal you describe above, no doubt gets me in whenever I see photos of it). Thank you for your kind thoughts and in turn I send love to you and your Mum. Hugs to you, and, as you suggested to me, have fun dressing up!! xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have really enjoyed reading your blog this afternoon. I love you attitude and colour. I will be back for more

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Alice, it's a pleasure sharing my stories with you.
    Hope you're having a beautiful week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nimbin looks like a colorful, happy village and great place to have some fun and relaxation. Your scarves look as though they were made for your gorgeous top! Caro and Ian’s hats are also wonderful! Thanks for sharing with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, beautiful Judith, yes the scarves seem to have been made for the top but isn't that the way with pre-loved and loved clothes and accessories that we treasure and keep. New outfits are created, new life (for the second, third, fourth time round)... Hope you're having a fabulous weekend. Elizabeth. xx

    ReplyDelete