Life's a pretty precious...

Life's a pretty precious...

Wednesday, 31 August 2016

RETRO AFTER THE SNOW

After farewelling the Narrabeeners at the famous Holbrook Bakery (compulsory stop on
 a trip south or north) J.B. and I drove home via the inland route. It's a two day drive from 
Falls Creek to Bello (1,200 kms) so we stayed overnight in Mudgee at the Cobb and Co Court Boutique Hotel - a circa 1850's brick coaching inn. We always feel (a lot) empty after saying goodbye to any of our family and so dinner in the Stables Restaurant and indulging in a lovely suite (up narrow outside stairs above the courtyard...soft carpet covering wooden floors which still creak in spots...) got us back to being just the two of us again.



 


  Mudgee is in the central west of 
New South Wales and in winter has 
very cold, clear nights (there was a good 
frost on the roofs when we woke)
and sunny days so my 1987 coat was 
perfect for our early morning wander. 
I bought it from a Montgomery Ward
catalogue when we lived in Texas 
and it's still in "as new" condition. 
I love the zip up bit inside at the top.


My head warmer came from another time 
at Falls Creek - about the same time as 
the one piece snow suit...

  
Mudgee became the centre for local goldfields after gold was discovered 
in nearby towns in 1851. 
Today, it has developed as a wine producing region and rural produce. 
The mining boom in 2010 - coal in nearby Ulan - sent real estate prices 
rocketing. Mudgee's close proximity to Sydney (under 4 hours) makes it a desirable weekend escape. There are many beautiful, restored buildings in the town. 




























The courtyard of Alby & Esthers café, full of charm and history. 
And fabulous pumpkin and fig loaf (toasted, with butter) for breakfast! 







I love the facade of this restaurant and couldn't resist having a peep inside...






Vineyards and vineyards...
 

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I love old buildings and seeing the scenery! I read "the Luminaries" this year, about the gold rush era in New Zealand (my hometown here is also a gold rush town), and loved all the descriptions of the area.

    Your pink puffer jacket is so snazzy! Thank you for all the lovely comments, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps, Sheila. (I have yet to read The Luminaries - it's an intense read, I believe but it's on my very long list of books to read). You're welcome (re my comments) - you're part of a fabulous world wide link of amazing women. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, the beautiful architecture and countryside. Thanks for this little trip through the towns of Australia. Pumpkin and fig loaf? Yes, mmm, that's sounds like the perfect breakfast. You look fabulous on your travels - I also had a pink puffer coat at one time. And I must also thank you for your wonderful visits to my blog. Mwah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so thrilled to have you visit MY blog! Thanks heaps for your lovely comments. I LOVE LOVE that dress (the stripes, long, too long, slinky one) and still wax lyrical over the one with THE SLEEVES, recycled, from some blogs past - and I so look forward to your next post, which will, I know, be filled with quirkiness, brilliance, outrageousness, colour, fun, intelligence... And yes, pumpkin and fig loaf was to die for. xx

      Delete
  3. Mudgee looks an interesting place to visit , the closest I have been is Orange and Bathurst many years ago.Your retro pink puffer coat is great and no doubt better quality than anything now available. Thankyou for your kind comments. Enjoy that Spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill, yes temperatures are suddenly warm here (no chance of wearing your fabulous coats up here). Clothes, shoes and in fact most things, cost a lot more 30 years ago but shopping was different then. We had to choose wisely, buying what we really wanted/needed. I lament these times and this attitude to shopping - and the good quality materials and standard of product which is so evident in all our vintage clothes. Have a beautiful weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I long for a country where I actually desire to put on winter clothes!

    I'm not a fan of snow. I don't mind the cold as long as there is no snow. Not very Canadian of me is it?

    I adore that your clothes are that old and have stood the test of time. They don't make products like that anymore.

    1,200 km is a massive trek.

    I now want to make fig and pumpkin loaf. Yum!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure you're going to get away with no snow! I used to live way down south where it's cold and wet (no snow except in the mountains where we were holidaying and skiing)and you always have to have warm clothes with you even in summer. The winter wind blows up from the Antarctic and whilst not as cold as it gets in Canada, too cold for me. So, yes, it's fun to wear winter clothes for a while in the sub tropics. We are used to travelling long distances in Australia, especially those of us who live in regional areas.Nothing like road trips!! I need to find a recipe for that pumpkin and fig loaf and put it on my blog. Thanks heaps for dropping by, Suzanne. xx

      Delete
  6. Mudgee looks and sounds absolute fascinating. Like Suzanne I loathe cold weather but you certainly dressed the part, looking both glamorous and practical - a pretty tough ask in my book! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. I'm in awe of you getting out there in the cold, even in summer to all those fabulous events with your Retro show - AND looking glamorous. I'm lucky that dressing for the cold is good fun, a fun time (now, the humidity and heat is ahead but fortunately, I love it). Hoping autumn is warm and balmy for you. xx

      Delete
  7. It looks a lovely place! Like your last one, that coat looks amaaaaaaaaaaazingly cosy! Sucha nice long length!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie, for coming on the little tour of Mudgee. I love to be able to get the opportunity to wear my very warm winter gear and hope it'll still be going in another decade of winter holidays. I really enjoyed your cruise. xx

      Delete
  8. Just found your blog through Hat Attack. This is a great post. We visited NZ a couple of year ago and now Oz is on the to-do list. It looks wonderful thanks to these lovely photographs. That coat is beautifully snug and perfect for the winter ahead. I love retro pieces as the quality is so much more superior to new clothes. We're just coming out of summer here so I don't really want to admit to needing a coat for some months yet. So lovely to meet you x
    Anna
    www.annasislandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anna, It's lovely to meet you, and thank you for your lovely comments. Wouldn't be great if today's fabrics were of the same quality as our vintage clothing? Hope you make it down here to visit. I look forward to keeping in touch with you on your own blog too. Best wishes for a beautiful autumn. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are beautiful. And so are you, in your cozy coat and wonderful head warmer. Thank you so much for sharing with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judith, thank you, as always, for hosting Hat Attack, and for visiting my blog. xx

    ReplyDelete