Life's a pretty precious...

Life's a pretty precious...

Friday, 29 July 2016

ONCE UPON A BALLGOWN TWO...AND WHEN AN EMPORIUM IS A CONCERT HALL



Recently I attended a fund raiser concert at Emporium, Bellingen. 
Michelle der Kinderen's beautiful soprano voice soared through the heritage listed Hammond and Wheatley building. Opera's most glorious arias filled my head and soul over the following week and I couldn't resist...



video





Michelle's stunning costumes rippled and flowed up and down
the staircase...
Shoes, clothes and accessories were pushed aside 
and the space became an intimate concert hall... 
Camellias added to the set...




This treasured slipper satin skirt is over 50 years old and is the other 
former ballgown I inherited from my mother. It had a beaded bodice with shoe string straps originally (which was removed to be more useful for evening wear as fashion became more casual, Mum said - BUT how can this fabulous skirt ever be just "casual"?) It had a matching satin bolero which was rebirthed as a bow and worn at the back of the skirt. (the bow was stuffed with tissue paper to give it lots of puff - tissue is still in there minus the puff...)





I've had the black velvet jacket for several years - discovered
in a funky retro shop which used to be in Bello...
My headwear is a pre-loved mantilla scarf...marcasite and garnet
earrings and necklace a gift many years ago from my mother (my middle 
name is Garnet)... 

                                                                                                                                       



I wore this (below) to my youngest son's wedding...
I love the drop waist at the front of the velveteen camisole (which I 
bought in the underwear section of the Emporium in Bellingen)...it's still so 
comfortable and gorgeous eleven years later. I also wore the lace
mantilla as I wear it here...



  In the photo above I'm wearing this pair of sandals I bought in Bali six years ago. They have gorgeous carved heels and are very comfortable.

  

The Hammond and Wheatley building was the first concrete block building in 
Australia and is believed to be the first in the southern hemisphere. 
It was completed in 1909 but operated as an Emporium from 
1900. Normal trading continued inside during the building process!
The ground floor ceiling is beautiful pressed metal. 
  


 Emporium Bellingen on ground floor,
Dervish Gallery on first floor... 



When a concert hall is an emporium...
  




Linking up to 

http://stylecrone.com/2016/07/31/hat-attack-37/
http://notdeadyetstyle.com/a-vibrant-maxi-dress-and-a-giveaway-visible-monday





22 comments:

  1. Wow, that is one gorgeous ballgown skirt! What a colour and shape, and you look absolutely magnificent! I hope you twirled and swooshed about all evening and were the belle of the ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila, yes, it's very hard to take this skirt off! It's made for swishing and twirling and playing the "diva"! Have a beautiful weekend. xx

      Delete
  2. You look magnificent!!! What a vision and a great inspiration you had there!
    I was bought a beautiful vintage full red skirt quite similar to this for Christmas when I was a teen. I hardly wear it now but you have inspired me to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kezzie for your gorgeous comments. Please look for that full red skirt, I would love to see it! xx

      Delete
  3. Magnificent outfit. I'm drawn to the combination of sophisticated evening wear being modelled outdoors like this. The juxtaposition is chic and alluring, and so very pretty. Thank you for sharing this beautiful crimson gown in its current iteration with us, dear Elizabeth.

    Many hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Jessica for your wonderful comments which are as awesome as the skirt...and the idea of the outdoors was because I wanted to be the opera singer swishing down the stairs of the old Hammond and Wheatley building!! (in my dreams - the opera singer bit!) and the ramp to our garden deck seemed to evolve into the perfect setting for this post shoot. Have a beautiful, fabulous week (I look forward to your next shoot in one of your lovely outdoor settings) xx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a magical event and what an excuse to wear that truly glorious skirt with its wonderful history.The camellias echo the colour of your skirt perfectly.xx Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill, and yes, it was the best excuse to get out this glorious, magnificent skirt and play opera singer divas in the garden. I love camellias too and after a friend gave me a bunch of deep red double ones last weekend, I have decided that I'll plant one in the space that's going to be left when the (not loving it in that spot) tibouchina is dug out. Have a fabulous week (by the way, the wattle is just out...) xx

      Delete
  5. Gowns, gowns, gowns and more gowns! So perfect. The colours, the sheen, the swoosh. And I absolutely LOVE your video. This little clip expresses all the joy of living in beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous Melanie, thank you heaps! I'm so thrilled you love the video (will pass this on to J.B. who played his own "diva" role with the sophisticated sound system of mobile phone and operating the little camera simultaneously). As one who does live, out there in the public and open spaces shoots, you'll appreciate we had a few "takes" - light was great, but neighbour decided to start his whipper snipper; J.B. forgot to press stop; the one above was done early in the morning, frost just melting on the paddocks below...the life of an opera diva, sigh...such fun xx

      Delete
  6. So beautiful and uplifting! You look radiant in your ballgown skirt, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti, it's pretty easy to feel beautiful and radiant in this skirt, too! xx

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I'll get the hang of all this one day!

      Delete
  8. How fabulous to see your beautiufl self in action! That re-purposed satin skirt is a dream on you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, fabulous Vix. I must swish about in it more often... xx

      Delete
  9. The exotic surroundings are befitting your glamorous dramatic look. And it is wonderful you have this beautiful wearable memory of your Mom. Love the the carved Bali sandals too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your beautiful comments, and for dropping by my blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the gown that you inherited from your mom. You wear it with wonderful flair! Your scarf as headwear is fabulous! Thank you for sharing your beauty with Hat Attack!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Judith, for your lovely comments and visiting my blog - and for hosting Hat Attack. I love meeting all the fabulous hats, outfits and women who come together here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found you through Judith's wonderful Hat Attack. I love the stories behind your beautiful pieces!! My mom is 93, and I try to wear the things she's given me over the years to jog her memory a bit. She's always amazed, although she knows she likes them. :-) The gown/skirt is magnificent, and such a delicious color. I love how you've styled it. Wishing you a wonderful week. I'm in the middle of the nasty heat here in the southern US, so I'm totally envious of your cooler temps. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your beautiful comments, Jean. I'm so very happy to meet you (although I had loved meeting you with Judith on her blog during your visit to Denver). Isn't it fabulous wearing our mother's clothes? And so wonderful that your Mum gets so much pleasure seeing you wear her clothes. So many stories... I phoned my Mum yesterday to let her know we were home from our holiday and she asked if I would like a long skirt from a long time ago. I look forward to picking it up at Christmas. Your own style and beauty is awesome and I look forward to keeping in touch. We had a beautiful week in the snow and clouds - like being in a magical world... Thank you for visiting and enjoying my blog. Stay cool, xx

    ReplyDelete