Life's a pretty precious...

Life's a pretty precious...

Sunday, 19 June 2016

ONCE UPON A BALL GOWN...

Over 50 years ago, when young ladies made their debut into adult Australian society, my Mum used to accompany my Dad (who, as a professional photographer, recorded the social transition) to many Balls - Highland Balls, which were all tartan sashes across the debs' white dresses, and bagpipes; Church Balls, High School Balls...and she got to dress up. I loved the Balls season, when Mum looked like a princess, complete with long satin gloves which had tiny satin covered  buttons, gorgeous little handbags, and fur stole wraps...

And then the Deb Ball era came to an end...the bodices were removed from a few dresses for the long skirt era...
And the happy ever after ending
 is that I inherited a couple of these skirts.


The beautiful cotton fabric of this skirt is a quality not found today. I feel 
a bit of a princess myself when I dress it up to go out for dinner...


 




...complete with this pre-loved
Indian clutch bag
and Mum's earrings...







When a ball gown becomes a
creative-day-at-my-desk-skirt...
Add my favourite pre loved 
leather belt, 
pre-loved cardigan (I've had it and loved it so long, I can't remember
where I found it), my gorgeous
red boots, and glasses (which are even more brilliant because they 
allow me to read!) and one of
my very favourite pairs of 
earrings (a gift from J.B.) 

Linking to http://www.notdressedaslamb.com/search/label/iwillwearwhatilike

8 comments:

  1. What a magnificent skirt!! I'm glad it was kept and given new life at least twice over. Your styling is fantastic with those boots, earrings, and glasses. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie, so pleased you think it magnificent also!

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth, that skirt is fantastic! I love that its been reincarnated from a ballgown into something fun and a whole lot less formal. I adore how you're wearing it with those cool red boots, killer earrings (I'm an earring fanatic, too!) and that gorgeous Indian beauty of a bag.
    I bet your Mum was stunning as you are such a beauty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your compliments, Vix (My Mum was, and still is, beautiful (she stars - at 91 - in one of my earlier posts). Yes,earrings...who is dressed without them?

      Delete
  3. That skirt is such a sweet, gorgeous gem of a garment - made all the more so by the fact that you inherited it from your mom. I have very, very vintage pieces from relatives (sadly, almost no one in my family held onto anything old), but those that I do possess, are my most treasured yesteryear items, as I'm sure this skirt holds a deeply special place in your heart, too.

    Big hugs & many thanks for your great blog comment this week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica for your beautiful comments. I do also treasure these "inheritances" very much (I have a couple which are just not wearable any more but I have them packed away because they are treasures. One of my Mum's skirts is starting to grow extra tired and so I have to limit my wear times - it's hard to let them go!)Have a fabulous week.

      Delete
  4. That skirt is exquisite! So glad that it has memories for you too- you look so beautiful in it (you have a gorgeous smile too!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kezzie for your lovely comments and so pleased you enjoyed the exquisite skirt too.

      Delete