Life's a pretty precious...

Life's a pretty precious...

Sunday, 12 June 2016

I LOVE TO RIDE MY BICYCLE...

I love to ride my bike...La Vie is her name - Life - my 60th birthday present from J.B. (my old Mystique was 15 years tired). She has gorgeous black mud guards so I can ride through puddles! And gears! (I have a couple of very steep little hills on my ride into the village, the "I think I can" sort of hills). On the way home, I can't resist yelling out cries of joy as I fly down the hill and over the bridge...


I love La Vie's fabulous bell which rings whenever I hit a bump!


Dressed to ride...I love this pre-loved hand dyed dress (just the right length, doesn't get caught in the spokes), leather belt from a market clearing sale, my own made velvet leggings, retro cardigan from the local church's op shop (I actually went in last week to look for the Greek fisherman's cap which had been in the window the day before - someone else beat me to it! - and came out with this gorgeous, bright cardi instead), possum neck warmer which I bought in Glenorchy, near beautiful Queenstown, New Zealand a few years ago (possums are vermin in N.Z.) and my new, so comfy, Naot boots.








The leaves are almost down...








Not quite the lycra brigade...bright lipstick's a must, and pre-loved - my Mum's - earrings (I have learned the hard way, though, to take my earrings off before the speedy ride across the bridge on the way home!)

Why choose the direct route when I can ride through our beautiful little showgrounds, bell dinging madly, maybe saying hallo to a horse or two as I pass, or some campers, through the park - inhale lemon scented gums after rain (and get my breath back after the little hill), fly through the rustic car park (whoever gets there first each day sets the pattern for parking) - and the best thing about cycling - get a park at the front door of my chosen café.  
Fabulous!





In Hyde Bellingen, fabulous coffee...and one of my "offices"
When a writer has a sort of far away look...
My Esteemed Editor wants me to "kill some of your darlings" (as they say in the writing world) so I am (and will file them away to use somewhere else, some day) and creating some more to take their place! 


Linking up with http://notdeadyetstyle.com/working-an-80s-throwback-visible-monday
 

17 comments:

  1. Next time I see someone with a pen and paper and a far away face at the coffee shop, I'll remember what they're REALLY thinking. Heh. LOVe your bike and bell and freewheeling down the hill. Great outfit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps, Melanie. Of course, another writer could be plotting something more sinister than "killing their darlings"! Here's to more freewheeling tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Great biking look! And I need that bell : > Your hair, glasses and earrings make a stunning look - thanks for sharing with Vis Monday, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. And thank you for Visible Monday - I'm meeting so many fabulous women from it. The bell's gorgeous, and even though it dings by itself,sometimes I put it in its place and ring the ringer myself!

      Delete
  3. Your biking story reminds me of growing up in Italy. Gosh, I miss the freedom and everything that came with it that biking offered. We don't live in a particularly bike friendly area in the States.

    Your outfit is so fun. That cardi is great find (I'm a librarian, I'm naturally drawn to cardis). Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Daenel, yes the first thing I wanted to get when I moved to Bello was a bicycle. Small town, with a central village is a fairly European thing, I guess...so much fun. Cardis, can't have enough,can you?

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog, I've found you! What a vision you are, from your fabulous 560th birthday bike to your glorious hand-dyed dress and bright lippie - sure beats the lycra brigade. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix - yes, everyone seems to have to be "accessorised" in lycra, whether it's going to the supermarket, out for coffee, or riding a bicycle (at least it seems that way down here in Australia) so remaining an "indie" dresser is necessary,to keep some sort of balance, I think. Namaste.

      Delete
  5. Your words - Why choose the direct route when I can ride through our beautiful little showgrounds, bell dinging madly -
    They resonate with me completely. I often avoid direct routes in favor of a new ones to explore and see. You are a beautiful woman. I'm glad you fought cancer beautifully and you're with us.
    Thank you for your kind words at So What to Twenty. I appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your kind words, Glenda. Treading/cycling the paths less travelled are experiences full of treasures, I find - every moment of every day I am grateful for my life.

      Delete
  6. What a great bike! LOVE the bell. There is a certain romance that comes along with a bike ride which you have described so well.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Suzanne, yes, the bell is gorgeous (it chose me, I think).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I go cycling, I always wear a little skirt or shorts over my horrid padded lycra shorts, I hate just wearing those!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea of the little skirt! I don't own any cycling "gear" - except my helmet which I hate wearing because I get "helmet hair" !!! and can't feel the wind rushing through it!! But,it apparently protects my scalp from gravel rash in the unlikely event of a spill. I'm sure you look stylish zipping along with your "non cycling" gear too. :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I had a bunch of typos - just woke up!)

      Hello Elizabeth!!!
      You're in NZ!? A dear friend lives in Nelson!
      Would love to bike with you. La Vie's bell is soo sweet!
      Does your helmet also have little cherries? Someone on IG
      just posted a photo of her cherry-decorated helmet (coincidental!?!)

      Thanks for finding me so I could find you!

      Delete
    2. Hi Carol, I'm in Australia (just across "the ditch" as we call it, from NZ)! No, my helmet doesn't have little cherries but I like the idea, and will look out for some helmet friendly ones! Ding Ding!! xx

      Delete